Thursday, February 12, 2015

Carlos's Excellent Adventure

     My morning became an adventure when I had to walk past 2 prisons to get to school. It all started when I woke up early to get homework done, only to find that I did not have a ride to school and would have to take the bus. I did not have time to finish my homework and quickly got ready to leave the house. I boarded the first bus out of the 2 I had to take and headed on my way.
     When I take the bus, I like to use my phone's GPS to help me keep track of where I am so that I do not miss my stop; however, nobody else on the bus does this and it tends to make me feel like the odd one out. I decided to try not using my phone this time, I knew where my bus stop was pretty well anyway. To my misfortune, I ended up in a seat where I could not clearly see where the bus was going. After a good amount of time and noticing that I did not recognize any of my surroundings, I decided to check my phone: I missed my stop by a long-shot. I got off the bus at the next stop available.
     First I searched for another bus route to get me to school; that would require taking 2 more buses and I only had money for one. My next best option was to walk to the school which was only 2.2 miles away. I found 2 routes to get there: a 38 minute route and a 37 minute route. The 37 minute route seemed to be much faster than the 38 minute route at the time, even though it was the lesser recommended route on Google Maps so I took it.
     The route took me through main roads for a brief period of time, then it turned into the backstreet. This road was filled with building sites and had construction trucks driving back and forth along it; it was at this point at which I began to question my safety. The construction road soon became the least of my worries because along this road I passed by the backside of a prison, I've never felt this scared for my life before. I passed by the prison and lived somehow, I really don't know how I pulled that off,
     I walked another half- mile before I turned on to a road that was only referred to as "access road" on my GPS. "Where am I?" I thought to myself. My question was soon answered when I walked past another prison and this time saw a sign that read "Broward County Detention Center" written in large, clearly legible letters. As I passed the second prison on my journey, 4 police officers piled into a car and drove past me. I wonder if they looked at me and questioned why someone who was clearly a college student was walking down that road to get to school.
     My final challenge on my trip to school was to cross a hustling intersection with no crosswalk in sight. I hate jaywalking, but it was the only option that would get me to class on time. I waited for a break in traffic and ran across the street. I walked the last 0.3 miles to get to school and was filled with relief upon my arrival. I brushed my fingers along the beige walls of my college, this was the happiest I've ever been showing up to school. I was finally "home" at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment